Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 3: Mekong River Cruise to the South of South Vietnam


Woke up early and in a hurry in order not to miss my 45USD 2-Days-1-Night tour which includes a cruise to the Mekong river, visit to the water & local villages, a crocodile farm, and an overnight in a town that almost border Cambodia, as we cross the border by boat the next day.

I was originally sitting on my own, but as they filled our tour bus, I was seated with Manon, a lone traveler from the Netherlands. She said she's taking a break from practicing Psychology for a couple of years, and that I was very fortunate, as normally, conversations with her would cost some serious money!

So there we were, exchanging travel stories, my fast pace and her savoring each moment. We arrived at the port of My Tho after over an hour, where our tour of the fishing village started.

Hats for sale!
The fishing village, after you’ve seen it already, ceases to be interesting. I don’t know, it must be because I’m from the Philippines so, though nothing exact, a market-type setting is nothing new.

Fishing Village boats
We stopped afterwards in a pastry store wherein they are making these candies that tasted good but sticks in my teeth like hell. Also it’s my first time to eat “popped rice” which is cooked like popped corn, and ginger crystals, which I found addicting.




We had lunch in this hidden restaurant, they probably only get their customers via booked tourists from packages like us. This was when Manon and I joined Hannah and Harleigh, 2 British ladies who are likewise travelling Asia after finishing their university.


The river cruise lasted until about mid afternoon which in bulk consisted of simply appreciating the wind and the sceneries, until we had to go down to the port of Vin Long and take a bus to the crocodile farm. 

River cruise snapshot
While on the bus, our tour guide said that we won’t be able to stay in the floating hotel since it says in his “list” that it’s not what we paid for. Full of bull actually, they probably overbooked or found a way to save some money by putting us in a cheaper accommodation. But I, being on a vacation mode, exercise more patience on it. Weird thing, those who fought and insisted actually got to stay there. But we were offered free breakfast.



We arrived in the almost middle of nowhere town of Chau Doc at pass 6PM, checking in this old and a bit buggy rooms. After some minutes of settling down, me and the 3 other girls headed out to get some dinner. That town is absolutely dead. By this time I was regretting on not insisting with the floating hotel, perhaps that’s the brighter night side of this town, along the river. But our evening turned out fine still.

Carnival

4 kids in a motorized bicycle

After checking out such a barren mini-carnival, we ate in the only restaurant in the street that had pictures in its menu. Shared our stories, drinks on the go, walked around some more, then called it a night. Highlights for me so far has been meeting these new friends, but I hope tomorrow we’ll get to cover better places to visit. It should be, we’re crossing the border to Cambodia.

(L to R) Hannah, Joenil, Manon, Harleigh

1 comment:

Total Pageviews